Questions to Ask About Accommodations
- What accommodations are available for me as a student?
- What do I need to do in advance to assure my needs are met?
- If I am in college, how do I protect my rights for accommodations?
Laws are written to protect students for a variety of needs and rights. It is important to discuss any accommodations you may need prior to attending a college.
Know What is Available
Colleges and universities provide services to help support and ensure the success of its students. HLC’s Criteria for Accreditation include numerous references to the services provided by colleges and universities:
Criterion 3, Core Component:
3.C. The institution has the faculty and staff needed for effective, high-quality programs and student services.
Criterion 4. Teaching and Learning: Evaluation and Improvement
The institution demonstrates responsibility for the quality of its educational programs, learning environments, and support services, and it evaluates their effectiveness for student learning through processes designed to promote continuous improvement.
The Criteria also includes a number of sub-components that, if applicable, could also demonstrate the role of services at a college or university:
- The mission and related statements identify the nature, scope and intended constituents of the higher education offerings and services the institution provides.
- The institution’s academic offerings, student support services and enrollment profile are consistent with its stated mission.
- The institution provides effective support services to ensure the integrity of research and scholarly practice conducted by its faculty, staff and students.
- Staff members providing student support services, such as tutoring, financial aid advising, academic advising and cocurricular activities, are appropriately qualified, trained and supported in their professional development.
- The institution provides student support services suited to the needs of its student populations.
Whether it is housing, transportation, academic, financial, life and support, or employment and career services, selecting the right education journey for you should include awareness of the services available at your college or university.